Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Hollywood reflects on 2005 woes

USA Today today reminds us yet again that last year was a disappointing year for Hollywood, with domestic ticket sales dropping nearly $400 million. The shortfall mostly affected the summer season, which was down $400 million in sales. Only one movie-Star Wars, Episode III: Revenge of the Sith-took in more than $300 million, the current standard for a B-i-i-i-I-I-G blockbuster. Theatre attendance overall dropped by 8.5%, from 1.53 billion tickets in 2004 to only 1.4 billion last year. The year 2005 was the fourth year in a row that has seen a drop in sales-from a high of 1.63 billion in 2002.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

test2
--db

1/19/2006 2:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love going to the movies, however, I'm not real surprised that ticket sales have dropped yet again. I know I haven't been going as often lately. I definitely enjoy action movies from time to time, however, I wish they were more like they were "back in the day." I've grown tired of all the special effects, fake creatures, and fantasy worlds. Don't get me wrong, it's fun from time to time. I would appreciate some more movies with some substance and meaning. If a movie leaves me thinking, then I am satisfied.
-Tim Casella

2/08/2006 1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home